Pages

July 29, 2014

Book Clubs Are Where It's At!

(via)


I had the most lovely time last night visiting a book club in Omaha, Nebraska! 

It was my wonderful mother-in-law's group. There were about 20 of us, and we met in the beautiful St. James church and school, which also happens to be where my husband went to grammar school. We had luscious homemade lemon bars and cookies and drank coffee and pink lemonade.

And we talked about books.  This group is a review group, rather than a book discussion group, and so one person reads a book and gives a synopsis and talks about it.  In this case, a wonderful and lively woman told us all about Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It has a happy ending, but boy does it have a lot of excitement in the middle.  Just when you think it can't get any worse for poor Niamh/Dorothy/Vivian, it does.  She's a girl from Ireland who immigrates, loses her family, and then is shipped West on the orphan train to be adopted by one horrible family after another.  Eventually she gets a good family though reconnects with a boy she met on the train.

And they were so great about my book!  I read a bit from my short story collection, How to Be a Man, and they laughed in all the right places.  I talked about writing and publishing.  They all came up to me afterwards and chatted and were so great!  I love you guys! You are my people.

No comments: